- Outstanding field trips, including viewing of Aleutian Terns
- Numerous activities for kids relating to birds and cultural resources
- Native cultural events including the Mount Saint Elias Dancers and Native Story-telling
- Exceptional art show featuring local native artists and well known glass artist Preston Singletary
- Related speakers and seminars on Yakutat natural and cultural topics
- Salmon in the Trees: Life in Alaska's Tongass Rain Forest exhibition by photographer Amy Gulick
|photo by Mike Denega|
One of the largest and southernmost known breeding colonies of Aleutian Terns exists in Yakutat. This bird species has a limited range throughout Alaska and eastern Siberia and Russia, and very little is known about it, including its migration patterns. The Yakutat area is currently at the forefront of Aleutian Tern research, including studies on population trends, nesting ecology, and migration patterns.