Southeast Alaskans Be Aware of Possible Encounters with Bears
- Never leave entrails within one mile of a trail, campsite, picnic area or parking lot.
- Keep carcasses unavailable to bears by hanging them
- at least 10 to 15 feet from the ground;
- Hang the carcass where you can see it from a distance, so you can observe it as you return.
- Keep sleeping bags, tents and sleeping areas free of food and beverage odors.
For more information on bear safety, please contact your local U.S. Forest Service or Alaska Department of Fish & Game office or visit: