Follow these guidelines to keep your fire from going WILD! Extinguish Fires completely.
- Allow the wood to burn completely to ash is possible
- Pour lots of water on the fire, drown ALL embers
- Pour till hissing sound stops
- Stir the ashes and embers with a shovel
- Scrape any remaining logs to remove embers
- Make sure everything is cold to the touch
- If you do not have water, use DIRT or sand by mixing in with embers
If it’s too hot to touch, It’s too hot to leave!Do not bury the fire as it will continue to smolder and could catch roots on fire that will eventually get to the surface and start a wildfire.
Learn about safe burning practices, debris burning, and burn barrels at http://forestry.alaska.gov/burn/ and http://www.youtube.com/user/AlaskaDNRDOF. Fire information resources are available! The Alaska Interagency Coordination Center website provides current fire information, maps, statistics, and more. Additional resources can be found at forestry.alaska.gov/wildland and akfireinfo.com